Saturday, August 18, 2012

McCoyalicious Granola


Hubs loves granola but we don't have it often because the stuff you get at the grocery store is generally super expensive and super fatty. I don't know why I got it in my head to try making it, probably Pinterest again, but I was inspired one afternoon to take to the Internet and seek out a recipe. I found Alton Brown's here and it looked perfectly tweakable. Now, I'm not one to follow a recipe or pattern to the letter... ever, so below you'll find my version. We thought it came out delicious but I would suggest that you add/swap whatever nuts or dried fruits you and your family are fond of. I used what I had on hand but I think that next time I might try sunflower seeds in place of the peanuts, add some dried cranberries and swap out half the coconut oil for vegetable oil. Experiment, experiment! It is a little time consuming, though not labor intensive. You just have to stop by the oven and stir it every 15 minutes. So if you have an hour and a half I highly recommend spending it multitasking by cleaning your house and making this crunchy goodness.

McCoyalicious Granola
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/2 cup shredded sweet coconut
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup raisins

  • Preheat oven to 250.

    In a large bowl combine oats, nuts, coconut and brown sugar.

    In a separate bowl combine honey, oil and salt.

    Combine both mixtures and spread onto sheet pans. Cook for an hour 15 minutes stirring every 15 minutes for even color.

    Remove from oven, transfer to a large bowl and stir in raisins until distributed evenly.

    I stored mine in a couple of mason jars but any airtight container should work. I cant officially tell you how long it will keep but we are still working our way through one of the jars 3 weeks later so it's got to stay good for awhile.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment